If you currently serve or have served in the United States Army, Navy, Marine Corps, National Guard, Air Force or Coast Guard, you may qualify for one of the many military discount flight options.
Military Discount Flights: What to Do First
- Call Your Preferred Airline: Call your preferred airline and ask a representative about armed forces/military airfare discounts. There is usually a phone number in the FAQs section of the airline's website. Remember to have your military ID ready when you call.
- Explore Various Options: The Armed Forces Vacation Club offers active U.S. military, veterans and retirees discount vacation accommodations in more than 100 countries with a variety of booking options to fit different budgets and leave time. [Note: FareCompare does not endorse this organization or any other but provides this information as a service.]
- Compare Fares: Military discounts on airfares are usually discounts based on full fares only. This means you can often get a lower fare by simply searching for cheap airfare tickets and comparing prices.
Military Flight Discounts by Airline
- American Airlines: This airline offers up to three checked bags for free for active military and their dependents traveling for leisure or personal business, up to five when traveling on orders. Call 1-800-433-7300 to see if there is a military or government discount for the city you’ll be traveling to. See www.aa.com/military for more information.
- Delta Air Lines: Military fares may be available, but cannot be booked online, so call. Active duty military members and families traveling on orders can check from four to five bags for free (number depends on class of travel), and military members can check up to two free checked-bags for personal travel.
- Southwest Airlines: Discount fares for military personnel and dependents can only be booked by calling or emailing the airline. Southwest also allows military traveling on active duty or permanent change of station orders to check three or more bags for free, as long as no single piece weighs more than 100 lbs.
- United Airlines: Members of the military and dependents are eligible for reduced domestic fares and you can learn more here. You can also check extra baggage for free and there are exemptions to the usual pet transportations fees, too.
Big Military Bases and Closest Airports
Be sure to compare fares for leisure travel from these airports to be sure of getting the best deal possible.
|Fort Hood, TX||Austin-Bergstrom Int’l Airport|
|Norfolk Naval Station, VA||Norfolk Int’l Airport|
|Fort Bragg, NC||Raleigh-Durham Int’l Airport|
|Camp Lejeune, NC||Wilmington, NC Int’l Airport|
|Fort Campbell, KY||Nashville Int’l Airport|
|Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA||Sea-Tac Airport|
|Eglin Air Force Base, FL||Pensacola Gulf Coast Regional Airport|
|Naval Air Station, FL||Jacksonville Int’l Airport|
|Joint Base Charleston, SC||Charleston Int’l Airport|
|Fort Benning, GA||Columbus Airport|